Physical education develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities. Physical education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus we enable them to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives.
At Holy Rood, we teach PE to all children, whatever their ability, as PE forms part of the school curriculum policy to provide a broad and balanced education to all children.
At Holy Rood our intentions:
· to maintain and/or stimulate pupil interest and enjoyment in P.E. and to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles
· to develop the children’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination
· to enable pupils to be familiar with a body of knowledge, principles and vocabulary related to P.E.
· to enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination
· to encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations
· to develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities
· to increase children’s ability to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their performance
· to teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise
· to develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success
· to enable pupils to understand and use safe practice and to appreciate its importance in P.E, the short and long term effects of exercise on the body and the role of exercise in a fit and healthy lifestyle.
The school provides a range of lunchtime clubs that all children have the option to access. These give children the opportunity to explore a variety of activities that interest them. These include Art club, Computing club, Board Games etc.
The school also provides a range of PE-related activities for children at the end of the school day. These encourage children to further develop their skills in a range of the activity areas. The school sends details of the current club activities to parents at the beginning of each term.
P.E Curriculum Map
Please click here to see the P.E Curriculum Map.
P.E Subject Policy
Please click here for the P.E Subject Policy.